Contributors

MY ETSY STORE: Feather Earrings!

My Etsy Store!

Saturday, December 25, 2010

Don't Worry -- Its Natural!

   Forcing yourself to go to bed with sleeping pills is much easier than falling asleep naturally. Turning your noisy brain off is hard. I have been taking store brand sleep aids for the past month since I've hurt my neck and back. A lot of people told me to ditch the store brand sleep aids and try 'Melatonin' because it's natural!


The first night I took Melatonin I physically could not wake up. Opening my eyes was painful and near impossible. I was unable to break through the cloudy veil of this "natural substance" and regain consciousness. I vaguely remember waking up for short periods but "must sleep more" followed by unending darkness was all I could think. When I finally woke up at 5 pm I was scared and confused. What happened to me? I looked at the bottle on my night stand in horror. Natural my ass -- I was in a drugged coma for 15 hours straight! To make it worse it was already dark. My entire day was gone, lost in a bottle of Melatonin. I wandered around the house like a zombie for half an hour in shock over my unnecessary sleep marathon.


A few days later my brother came staggering into the kitchen at 4pm. Wide-eyed and pale he mumbled something about "too much sleep" and "those pills!" His Melatonin coma was about two hours shorter than mine.

The whole "natural" sales pitch is such a gimmick! Lots of things are natural. Getting mauled by a bear is natural. Cocaine and Lindsay Lohan are natural. Being ripped to pieces by Piranhas in the amazon is also natural.


6 comments:

  1. Oh dear! I've only had the sleep coma thing happen when the melatonin I took also had valarian root in it too. But right, just being "natural" doesn't mean your body won't have a bad reaction to it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I take ambien and it's glorious. (Except for the fact that I can't remember anything in the 30 minutes prior to when I take the pill and I have a tendency to tweet and email gibberish to people and not remember after take it. But I do wake up in a normal amount of time!)

    Despite that, if you can get a prescription, I'd recommend it. Just make sure your computer is turned off and twitter isn't open!

    ReplyDelete
  3. BLURG!!!! *hugslovelyblurg* ♥

    Hell yeah, the "all-natural" claims are absolutely a gimmick, not just to boost sales, but to get around drug regulations. You can't know what's really in them!

    I've never considered piranhas cute before...;)

    I hope you can manage to sleep better. Have you tried a hot bath or shower before bed? It can help with the aches and as your body cools down you become sleepy. *hugs* ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. i hope your neck/back will heal soon to a point where you won't have to take any sleeping aids at all, bb. (i have never in my 22years of being alive taken sleeping pills. so no advice from me, sorry!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow are you okay? how terrifying i could not imaginee i hate that they promote things as natural but can actually do harm. hope you are okay..hugs

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahh, your problem is that melatonin is for /staying/ asleep. Valerian is for falling asleep in the first place. I have hardcore issues falling asleep, and it's been helping me a LOT. I think both would probably be overkill... Just warning you. ;)

    ReplyDelete