Contributors

MY ETSY STORE: Feather Earrings!

My Etsy Store!

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Man Make Up Do's and Dont's.




It simply is not fair that the joys of makeup be exclusive to women! After all, everyone should have a chance at accenting their beauty and hiding their flaws. However Man Make up was a trend of the 80's, right? WRONG!

Man Makeup and the delicate art of man-scaping is being resurrected by modern day Alternative and Glam Rock! What was pioneered by artists like Alice Cooper, The New York Dolls, David Bowie, Twisted Sister, and Kiss (just to name a few) is being upheld by modern day musicians like Green Day, My Chemical Romance, Adam Lambert, Marilyn Manson and Lady Gaga (just kidding). ;P

However Man Make-up can go wrong, hideously wrong!
Here are a few tips to pretty up your boy all while carefully avoiding the evil drag clown look.

Tip 1: Eyes

EYELINER AND LASHES
It is a common fact that men have beautiful and untouched eyelashes. Play it up! Mascara is a great way to open up the eyes and brighten the entire face. Black and brown eyeliner should be applied like it would be on women, close to the lashes. This really is the best look. Men tend to apply their eyeliner like a thirteen-year-old girl discovering make up for the first time. I call this the pre-teen Raccoon look, and it is not pretty. Think the singer of the Cure, Iconic and Amazing? Yes. A little scary? Kind of. Smokey and smeared liner is sexy. Think the singer from My Chemical Romance. Hot

EYESHADOW
Stay far far away from Bright Colors. Some men, as Adam Lambert has shown us, can pull off the darker Blue and Purples. I even use a corn flower blue eyeshadow on Tommy sometimes, but what often comes to mind and also haunt my dreams is the makeup of Dee Snider. I Love Twisted Sister, and I highly doubt beauty was Snider's goal, but the blue eyeshadow up to his brows is a horrible reminiscent of my great aunt Lavina, mixed with an evil clown.

TIP 2: LIPS

LIPSTICKS AND GLOSS

For man Lips I recommend pinks and reds that aren't too far from their natural lip color! For Tommy I use Milani's Hot Pink Lip gloss with glitter. The Hot Pink is muffled by his Olive Skin Tone so it doesn't stand out, just enough to show off his natural pout.


THE OVER ALL GOAL OF MAN MAKE UP

Man Makeup is suppose to highlight their sexiness. I met Tommy in eyeliner and can't picture him any other way. I mean, can you pictures Billy Joe of Green Day without it? Its accents his eye shape and adds to his looks. However there is a fine line between sexy man makeup and drag. There is a stigma that all men who want to wear make up are drag queens and although I love my Drag Queen Friends, it is not to say that all men who rock the glam look are in drag! In my experience doing make up, I have found that 99% of men love having their makeup done; they find it fun, new and exciting! My dad was all about his Pirates of the Caribbean makeup on Halloween. :)

-Chantala


*Disclaimer: I love Lady Gaga, The Cure, Twisted Sister, and all Drag Queens. Esp. Frankie Starr.




4 comments:

  1. Very nicely written, I'm enjoying your posts! Keep up the good work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol. That picture is scary. o_0 I mean that third one, obviously. The other two are awesome.

    Actually the Adam one is one of my fav's. :D But yam, that was informative. :D

    (btw, lol it's tellastranger42, last time I commented with my LJ. lol.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOOOL FOREVER@ the Dee Snyder description. I swear, men have like the best eyelashes and the best hair and they don't even have to try! D:

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOOOOOL SOOO funny! And so true! Men need to start reading this blog....

    ReplyDelete