Contributors

MY ETSY STORE: Feather Earrings!

My Etsy Store!

Sunday, April 18, 2010

My Lucky Connection



In Late 2009, my friend Tommy asked me if I could pretty him up for an audition for American Idol's Adam Lambert! I knew he would get the part, hes a likable person, talented musician, and was already rocking the glam rocker look.

I did him up nice, the management loved his look, and were impressed with his talent, and within a week he was in! His popularity soared after Tommy and Adam's infamous American Music Awards "kiss!"

In Late February, Tommy Asked me how i was promoting my own art. I said that i was just a spec in the world the of art and that i am at a complete loss of where to start! Tommy asked me if I had a Twitter. I said yes but that I only had two followers! He laughed and told me he would help me out. He informed all of his fans that i had done his make up for Adams Birthday Party, and that I had done the painting of of him that is on his MySpace.

With one night I had 150 followers! I could not believe all of the networking potential that I had, now it was up to me to build and maintain it. Although I created my Etsy account months prior, I was yet to make any online sales and was selling at live art shows only. I made my first sale on Etsy a few days after I became active on Twitter and with lots of time and dedication, I have been able to maintain steady sales throughout the past month and a half!

Promoting your own art can be scary. Sometimes its embarrassing to advertise yourself because so much of yourself is put into it! Learning to Promote myself in a constructive and successful way has been my most valuable lesson so far!

Last week I decided to create a feather piece for Adam Lambert. Tommy told me he loves feathers, and there are lots of concert pictures to back that up! I made Adam a Fedora Hat Clip with Pheasant Feathers, Peacock Feathers, Lady Amherst Feathers, and lots of chains, studs and Black Gem Buttons!

I did Tommy's make up for the GLAAD awards last night, and sent my present along with him. This morning he told me that Adam Loved the piece, is gonna wear it on a hat, and he says thank you!

I will be looking out for it, I hope i get a chance to see him wear it.

-Chantala

6 comments:

  1. I followed you with my blogspot (although I never use my blogspot, maybe I'll start now!) I'm excited to see what you'll post in the future! I love being able to keep up with people via their blogs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww. :D I'm so glad he did, because your stuff is so lovely. :) \o/

    Also yay for Adam liking what ya did for him and all. :D I hope we'll see photos of him wearing it one day. :D

    Anyways I like the layout too. The feathers in the background. I love 'em. lol.

    ~Dru
    (tellastranger42)

    ReplyDelete
  3. we may have found you because tommy told his fans, but we stayed because you are a unique person on twitter. very real. honest. funny. genuinely sweet. i send people to your etsy page because your work is lovely! and you seem to enjoy interacting with tommy's fans who have become your fans. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad we found you. You're sweet and talented, and like everybody around here says, we're keeping you!

    Seriously though, I know all too well the difficulties of promoting yourself and your art, and I've been watching your successes with delight.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey I'm mariabintexas over on twitter and I'm one of Tommy's Badgers! I am so happy that your business is taking off. The combination of fandom, social media and entrepreneurship is an amazing thing. I am so happy that you're able to get your art out there for people. Best of luck to you. I cannot wait to see Adam wearing your hat pin! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hon, as a jeweler myself I understand your feelings.
    I work for my Mum in her jewelry business and marketing yourself is way hard! You have to be thankful for the gifts that come your way (and hug the deliverer) You are doing a great job, and I know those 5000 business cards will come in handy :)
    The blog is a great addition!

    ReplyDelete