Contributors

MY ETSY STORE: Feather Earrings!

My Etsy Store!

Monday, November 22, 2010

The time I almost burned a single mom's apartment to the ground.....



Back in high school I did a lot of babysitting. It was easy money and children love me! I had a regular babysitting job with a single mom watching her two daughters. One of the little girls was 2 and the other was 7.



It was a Saturday night and I was going to watch the girls from 6pm to midnight. Because I'm such an awesome babysitter, I took the girls across the street too get doughnuts (mmm delicious.) While meandering around the market, I ran into Tommy. We stopped chatted for a little while. We hadn't seen each other in a few months.



   The girls picked out their doughnuts and we walked home. I dug  for the key in my pocket and opened the front door. I knew something was wrong when giant billows of black smoke came rolling out of the front door!


 My stomach hit the floor. I didn't know why this was happening to me!



  I threw the baby at the 7 year old and screamed "SIT ON THE GRASS AND DON'T MOVE!!!" (They didn't seem to mind.) I then threw myself into the apartment and possible death. I know, I know, I should have called 911. I waved my arms around frantically looking for flames and the source of the fire. I didn't know what I was doing or why I had run into a burning building. I covered my mouth with one hand and waved my other arm around until I manged to clear a pocket of air for myself.


I finally stumbled upon a tiny burnt hot dog on the stove. All the water had evaporated and it was smoking and burning in the pan. Given a few more minutes and we would have lost the whole apartment to a flaming wiener. I guess their mom had put it on the stove and forgotten to tell me (does this make it her fault? Just a little bit?)


  I immediately started opening all of the windows and doors and clearing out the room. I went from door to door borrowing fans to set up around the house. I did laundry, steamed the furniture, vacuumed, scrubbed the walls, Frebreezed the curtains -- I did everything but repaint the apartment. I even scraped the grout in the kitchen. The house was immaculate, probably too clean. I shuffled up some blankets and scattered some toys on the floor. The house smelled like air freshener and camp fire. On top of the obsessive cleaning, I was doing everything and anything to entertain the girls and distract them from what was really happening.

  I collapsed onto the couch in a fit of physical and mental exhaustion. When the mom came home, the first thing she said was, "My apartment smells like burnt wiener!" I said "Oh yeah, I burnt a hot dog, I'm sorry. But we had a lot of fun! We had doughnuts, watched cartoons and played dress up!" I left out the part about almost burning her home and all of her possesions to the ground.



Moral of the story? Don't ever, ever let a sixteen year old babysit, no matter how mature they seem! Given an actual emergency, they will do anything and everything to save your stuff -- except dialing 911.

14 comments:

  1. LOL. Oh my gods. XD

    Yeah, I may have maybe once decided to try and bake cookies with a friend when I was younger and made a mess so we decided to go to the laundry room in the basement and got locked in there and forgot to turn of the stove.

    I had to crawl out the basement window and knock on the downstairs neighbors door, but Mom was already home and pissed.

    Teenagers and stoves. Uh oh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL My mom did the same thing with eggs, put them on, forgot about them, we went out to dinner and came back 2 hrs later to a smoky house and egg shells lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. rotfl! I love your little cartoon self! *squishyhugs* :D ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. kitchen mishaps. NOT FUN. really funny story though. and the illustrations? impeccable. (creepercullen)

    ReplyDelete
  5. D:

    i'm so glad i never babysat. on the one hand i was a broke teen. on the other hand, no burning houses.

    *squishes to your 16 year old self*

    also for a second i thought vin diesel was your douche of the day and i got really happy. now i'm sad he's the manmeat. xD

    ReplyDelete
  6. *snort* First thing my mom drummed into our heads, *ALWAYS* check the stove before you turn it on....that plastic from cake covers doesn't smell good :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOOOOOL My sister once burnt our backyard to a crisp.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hahahaha omg I'm laughing 2 hard. Your drawings are hilarious! Bleeding eyeballs, smiling weiner!

    I once put my son's lizard's warming light face down on the desk without turning it off, then forgot about it. It didn't even smoke, just melted the top of the desk. But the smell was so terrible that I had to get everything professionally cleaned 2 get rid of it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hehe.. Oh my god. This was the best way to start my day. Thank you for this!.. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  10. "I'm very skinny" totally cracked me up. The illustrations in this are fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  11. well you did good i let you babysit anytime

    ReplyDelete
  12. i love how you're illustrating your stories now. XD oh and tommy cameo! lol
    i would've panicked too i guess. the flaming wiener was definitely a gift from the demon king... :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Are you tired of being human, having talented brain turning to a vampire in a good posture in ten minutes, Do you want to have power and influence over others, To be charming and desirable, To have wealth, health, without delaying in a good human posture and becoming an immortal? If yes, these your chance. It's a world of vampire where life get easier,We have made so many persons vampires and have turned them rich, You will assured long life and prosperity, You shall be made to be very sensitive to mental alertness, Stronger and also very fast, You will not be restricted to walking at night only even at the very middle of broad day light you will be made to walk, This is an opportunity to have the human vampire virus to perform in a good posture. If you are interested contact us on Vampirelord7878@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete